Monday, May 21, 2012

Are You Qualified?

I remember one of my first lessons on grace...
A coworker really, really upset me. I'd rushed and handled his project, and then (rather than give me a little notice) he cancelled our meeting when I showed up.
UGH!!!
He was frequently inconsiderate, and that felt like the last straw!!!
I was so mad, I griped to my boss.
After my boss let me fume for a few minutes, he quietly told me, "Jenna, he is having to let a person go (fired) today, and I think he's pretty caught up in that. I believe that's why he can't meet and didn't take time to tell you the meeting was cancelled."
I paused, because that was actually a good reason. But I was still resentful. So I begrudgingly sighed, and said, "OK, I guess he deserves grace."
The Holy Spirit checked me. "IF HE *DESERVES* IT, IS IT REALLY GRACE?"
Uh oh. I'd forgotten the definition of Grace is that it's favor we DO NOT DESERVE. We can't earn it, and we certainly don't deserve it.
Only those who sin need grace. Only those who don't deserve grace are qualified to receive it.
WOW.
ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T DESERVE GRACE ARE QUALIFIED TO RECEIVE IT.

No comments: